The search for rare herbs in Chhattisgarh, India

The search for rare herbs in Chhattisgarh, India 

http://www.pankajoudhia.com/RA1.pdf


Research Note - Pankaj Oudhia © 2001,2002,2003 Pankaj Oudhia - All Rights Reserved 


From last ten years, I am in search of real Telia Kand. Telia Kand, is a herb, according to the herb collectors, contains acidic liquid inside the roots having the properties to dissolve the iron pin. In Hindi, Telia means oily (Tel - Oil). In the name of Telia Kand, the herb collectors sell different herbs at very high rates. The traditional healers of Chhattisgarh consider it as valuable medicinal herb. According to them, this herb is capable of dissolving all the foreign bodies present inside the body. Many healers claim that it is promising herb that can be useful in treatment of different types of cancer. In reference literatures related to different systems of medicine in India, many herbs have been mentioned as Telia Kand and it is still a problem to identify the correct species. For testing, the healers suggest to pierce pin inside the root and if it is genuine Telia Kand then it will be dissolved. If there is no effect on pin, then it is false material. When I visit forests for Ethnobotanical surveys, I always keep pin with me and never miss to ask the healers to show the true Telia Kand. Through my surveys, I have noted that healers of Amarkantak and Gandai region use the Telia Kand more commonly. These regions are well known for dense forests. The healers of region, informed that the Rengakhar area is rich in Telia Kand. I visited this area few years back and collected rare herbs but unfortunately not got the True Telia Kand. In local herb markets, in the name of Telia Kand many dry roots are available. I ave collected over 35 samples known as Telia Kand in different regions. As all the samples are dry, it is very difficult to test whether it is genuine or not. According to the herb collectors, the fresh roots are having the capacity to dissolve the pin and I have yet not seen the fresh roots. I have raised questions of Kand in different scientific forums but noted that the scientists are not ready to accept its presence without seeing its miracle effects. Few days back I discussed about this herb with senior herb researchers Dr. Rajendra Gupta and Dr. M. R. Uniyal. They informed that they have heard about this herb but yet not seen it any where. I will continue my search for this rare herb in future and inform you about latest information. For the traditional healers of Chhattisgarh, the rare herbs or rare species of any herb are of great importance. In my previous article, I have mentioned about the occurrence of white flowered Mokhla (Asteracantha longifolia), Akarkara (Spilanthes sp.) and Bhatkatiya (Solanum xanthocarpum). Whenever the healers find these rare herbs in forest, they collect it and keep it as valuable asset. One good thing I have noted is that the healers collect these rare herbs for them, only if these are present in any specific location in abundance. When there are less plants, they leave the spot as such and collect the useful part only. In general, the natives associate these rare species with good luck and wealth. Taking advantage of this belief, the herb collectors and herb vendors keep these herbs with them and sell it at fair rates. Although it is not scientifically proven but according to the traditional healers of Chhattisgarh , these rare herbs possess more rich medicinal properties and uses as compared to its common forms. I am keeping positive thinking in search of Telia Kand because my search of Bhramarmar or Bhramarmari has not gone waste. I have mentioned about this herb in previous articles. This herb attracts the flies and snakes commit suicide (?) near this herb. For the first time, I heard about this herb from my Guru Shri Vishal Bharat. He was using the bark of Bhramarmari in treatment of blood cancer. Bhramarmar in Chhattisgarh was his discovery. Although the traditional healers of Chhattisgarh are aware of this herb since generations but they do not use it in treatment of cancer. In different parts of the state it is known with different names. I have collected its sixteen names in local languages. Shri Vishal Bharat once told me about this herb and warn me not to disclose its identify to every one because it is rare and needs conservation. With the help of innovative herb growers, we are trying to propagate this herb artificially in order to conserve it. I am not aware of its presence in other parts of the world but in Chhattisgarh, I have seen only 35 such herbs in isolated patches. When I wrote about this herb in local news paper, the greedy traders started hunt for this rare herb. After this incidence, I stopped writing on this rare herb. By visiting the forests having natural population of Bhramarmar, I am trying to identify the fly species attracted towards this herb and try understand to that as it is not an insectivorous plant, for what purpose this herb attracts these flies.? I have seen the white flowers of Satyanashi, only once with the traditional healer of Chhattisgarh plains. After that I have yet not seen it in field conditions. The Mexican poppy (Argemone mexicana) is a common wasteland plant. In reference literatures, yellow flowered species has been reported. According to the traditional healers, the white flowered species also occurs in Chhattisgarh but very rarely. The healers use the white flowers in treatment of complicated diseases. Recently I got information from Bhopalpatnam region that it is present in that area. I am eager to visit the region. From this region, I also got information on occurrence of Red Musli. This is new information for me as well as the other herbs. A lot have been written on Kali (Black) and Safed (White) Musli (Curculigo sp. and Chlorophytum sp.) but Red (Lal) Musli is not mentioned any where. I have received the sample. It is identical to Safed Musli on all aspects except in colour. It is also very rare herb. I will write more about Red Musli in my future articles. In absence of taxonomist in my team it is very difficult to identify the new species. As the information on rare herbs in Chhattisgarh are not available in documentation form, I am satisfied that atleast the preliminary information is now coming in form of written document. I am confident that for the young researchers of coming generation these articles will provide proper guidance. Thank you very much for reading the article. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

कैंसर में कामराज, भोजराज और तेजराज, Paclitaxel के साथ प्रयोग करने से आयें बाज

गुलसकरी के साथ प्रयोग की जाने वाली अमरकंटक की जड़ी-बूटियाँ:कुछ उपयोगी कड़ियाँ

भटवास का प्रयोग - किडनी के रोगों (Diseases of Kidneys) की पारम्परिक चिकित्सा (Traditional Healing)